Tuesday, April 13, 2010

New journals and fountain pens

I've always enjoyed starting a new journal. The feel of a new book and putting pen to paper -- especially if I'm using a fountain pen -- makes me happy even if I've had a rotten day. There's just something about the heft of a good pen scratching along on 60 pound paper that's very satisfying. So why, you ask, are you sitting there typing? Well, that's a very good, one might even say cogent question.

I guess it all goes back to several years ago when I became ill and started going through some things that I didn't think I could ever make it through. Oddly enough, though, here I still am alive and kicking. So my husband and my matchie bestie told me that I should write about getting through the bad times since I journal fairly continually anyway. That sounded like a pretty good idea to me (those two being the brains of the outfit), and here I go with my little experiment. I'm sometimes serious, sometimes silly, and almost always a smart alec. So, no promises about getting to this every day or anything, but here is one of the first things I learned about tough times:

If the last few years of trials have taught me anything at all, it's that patience and endurance are not the same thing. Most of the time endurance comes long before patience, and the grace that comes from having endured results in patience when you least expect it.

Grace & peace,
Jane

1 comment:

  1. I miss writing with fountain pens. I don't have time anymore...who ever thought I'd say that? I'm always in front of a keyboard and it's just a lot more convenient to key it in. Besides, who would I write to anyway once I found the time.

    But enough, this is your blog. Glad you've officially joined the blogosphere!

    Smooches,

    Dani

    ReplyDelete